Oracle Utilities Meter-to-Cash Applications Running on Oracle Exadata Database Machine and Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud Demonstrate Unprecedented Throughput for 10 Million Interval Meters
• Oracle announced the unprecedented ability to process more than one billion records and generate 500,000 customer bills within an eight-hour nightly window using Oracle Utilities Customer Care and Billing, Oracle Utilities Meter Data Management and Oracle Utilities Smart Grid Gateway – integrated using Oracle Application Integration Architecture and running on Oracle Exadata Database Machine X2-2 and Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud X2-2. The test data was a subset extracted from 30 billion interval meter reads, a volume level typical for a large utility.
• The test, designed according to real business scenarios, processed data reported from 10 million smart meters, each reporting nearly 100 reads per day, which is representative of the daily processing needs for a typical utility service provider.
• The test used one month of historical meter data via Oracle Utilities Meter Data Management (30 billion meter readings) and a six-month billing history on Oracle Utilities Customer Care and Billing (60 million bills). The test billed each account using three different rates (simulating “peak,” “shoulder” and “off-peak” rates).
• The configuration tested was able to compress archive data at up to a 45X ratio using Oracle Exadata Hybrid Columnar Compression, enabling storage efficiencies that generate significant cost savings to utilities storing smart grid and other data.
• “New technologies and business processes are dramatically increasing the volume of data utilities handle during the meter-to-cash process. This test – the only one of its kind to date – proves that Oracle's complete, integrated mission-critical software solutions running on Oracle’s engineered systems help utilities correctly size their data warehouses to process the high volumes of consumption data generated by smart meters. That data, in the end, helps utilities help their customers to monitor and manage energy use with greater flexibility and control,” said Rodger Smith, senior vice president and general manager, Oracle Utilities.
About Oracle Utilities
Oracle Utilities delivers proven software applications that help utilities of all types and sizes achieve competitive advantage, business performance excellence and a lower total cost of technology ownership. Oracle Utilities integrates industry-specific customer care and billing, network management, work and asset management, mobile workforce management and meter data management applications with the capabilities of Oracle's industry-leading enterprise applications, business intelligence tools, middleware, database technologies, as well as servers and storage. The software enables customers to adapt more nimbly to market deregulation, meet ever-evolving customer demands and deliver on environmental conservation commitments. Additionally, Oracle Utilities helps utilities prepare for smart metering and smart grid initiatives that enhance efficiency and provide critical intelligence metrics that can help drive more-informed energy and water usage decisions for consumers and businesses. For more information, visit www.oracle.com/goto/utilities.
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NASDAQ:ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
About Oracle in Industries
Oracle industry solutions leverage the company's best-in-class portfolio of products to address complex business processes relevant to utilities, helping speed time to market, reduce costs, and gain a competitive edge.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.